Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Say Cheese!!!


Okay show by a raise of hands anyone who has accidentally (wink,wink):
1.cut the head off a family member or friend while taking a picture.
2.cut off any body part ( not going to be picky!)
3.took an excellent picture of your thumb or finger.
4.took a picture and then asked “Who is this person here?”
5.took an image that looks like an alien or ghost because its just too out of focus.
.......and the list goes on. Now that it has been established that at least one or even all offences may have been committed,all hands down.
Lets get to the technical stuff.
101 in taking good pictures! (courtesy of our EDRL6004: ICT for Reading facilitators)
1.Choose your subject for the picture, let your focus rest there and come in close to remove any possible distractions.
2.Observe the rule of the thirds,that is, allow the subject of the picture to be in a place that brings balance both vertically and horizontally.
N.B. The subject directly in the centre is not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
3.Use the natural lines in the subject’s environment to allow the viewer’s eye to lead onto the actual subject.It makes for a more dramatic picture.
4.Use the subject’s natural environment to frame the picture,again its definitely more pleasing to the eye.

A picture says a thousand words” yes its another really overused cliche, but lets try to have our pictures give the full message now that we know a little more on the ‘subject’.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ambika.
    Love your writing style!
    I truly enjoy reading your blog. It is both informative and funny. I am happy for the information on 101 in taking good pictures since I was absent for the class. Reading your blog has enlighten me about what took place on Friday. I can attest to missing body parts in my picture taking days.
    I can see the children in my class enjoying this activity since they will be writing on pictures they have taken. Creative Writing will no longer be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ambika
    Yes I am one of those guilty ones I am not afraid to confess. However with the aid of digital cameras I have improved. Seriously though in the past taking pictures the old fashion way was a difficult way and it always misled the amateur photographer. Indeed back then by the time you developed a roll of film and if the pictures were bad you just had to put it in the album. Today technology has advanced so much that you get to view the picture before you save it, you can get to re-do the shot, you can zoom in, adjust the brightness and so much more. Who would even think that mobile phones would take pictures, technology is really changing our lifestyles.

    I missed this class on capturing digital photos but I must say that you did an excellent job in informing the rest of us who were absent. I love taking photos and wish I that I can make it my hobby but that’s if and a big if I do get some free time to engage in such an exciting activity. I do however photograph my children and with this advice, I guess that my pictures will be a bit more professional. Keeping your hand still at times is a difficult task but it’s worth the shot in the end. I do however like point 4 where you stated one uses the subject’s natural environment to frame the picture. This technique is critical in making the picture look like a professional shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With both hands in the air I am typing with my toes. Guilty, Guilty, I have cut off heads and body parts even from babies but I have frequently included aliens and ghosts and sometimes given the severed body parts their own pictures.
    As for the centering... this was my first instruction ...head in center, focus and click.
    Well well what damage an ignorant teacher can do. lets just hope it was not the same for other literacy matters.
    Anyway, thanks for the info, I read, I learned, and from today I will practice the correct technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ms. Isaac,
    Guilty on all counts. Thank goodness for digital photography! I absolutley love using a digital camera - and the beauty of being able to re-take those poor shots immediately - priceless. One thing I learnt from this course and will be using from now on is the rule of thirds. As Ghina said, we learnt from young to centre the shot. Now, it's time to re-learn. I do intend to have fun experimenting though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am described as a camera happy one. I always find myself in the middle of most of my family pictures. My dad bought me a digitial camera as a birthday present and I am very excited about digital photography, especially the zoom feature. I am glad that I now know the rule of the thirds and so will now find myself in a corner of the picture and not in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bow my head in shame due to my many photographic transgressions. One would think that taking a picture amounts to a simple click but not so. We are now about taking good pictures. No more shadows, red eye and missing limbs.Thanks to this course I will pass on my new found skills to my kids. Digital Storytelling, here I come!!

    ReplyDelete